Monday, July 21, 2008

A Neighborhood Wedding

One of the Neighbors got married this weekend. I grew up in a really wonderful neighborhood. The subdivision was built in the early 70s and most of the folks moving in were young couples starting families. With so many people in the same stage of life and so many little kids running around it was nearly inevitable that we'd form a close knit community. Our little corner became especially close. The K's lived right next door. I've talked about them before. The H's lived on the other side of the K's and the C's lived across the street. Everyone except my parents has moved out of the neighborhood, but we've all stayed close friends. We gather together for the kids' graduation parties (all done with these) and the occasional Christmas party and weddings.

This weekend Kara C married a very lucky boy named Craig. I don't know Craig very well but he seems like a pretty nice guy. Kara was a stunningly beautiful bride.


I used to babysit for Kara and her brother, Chris. Kara was the sweetest little girl and Chris was a natural leader and they were both just as smart as could be. Not much has changed.

The wedding was at a country club here in Ann Arbor. The rain on Saturday pushed the ceremony into the ballroom but it didn't dampen our spirits. The K's and the H's and the R's (that's my family) all sat together in the back and we all had a wonderful time.

All the H's were there:


Kelly H was a bride's maid. She looked really pretty in that sage dress. Mr and Mrs H are renewing their vows in August. Sadly, I won't be able to make it. I'll be riding DALMAC .

Most of the Neighbor kids are married now and many have kids of their own (third generation Neighbors). Here's Kelly H and her brother, Chris H with his wife and their second son, the newest Neighbor.
And here's Justin H and his wife. They have two lovely girls.


Here's Kenn K and his lovely wife.

They have a darling little girl and are expecting a baby boy in a few short weeks. Sorry this picture is a little blurry.

And here's Buster and me.
We don't have any kids, yet, and neither does my brother. That means my parents are the only first generation neighbors to not yet be grandparents. I think this makes my Mom green with envy. Don't worry, Mom, you'll be a grandma someday.

Here's a few pictures of the first generation neighbors. Here's the dads with our lovely bride.

That's Mr H, then Kara (of course), my Dad, and Mr K.

And here's the Moms.
That's Mrs C (can you see the resemblance to Kara?), Mrs K, my mom, and Mrs H.

And one more second generation Neighbor, the brother of the bride! That's Kara's brother Chris on the left. He and Justin H presenting a slider to the camera. Apparently no party is complete without sliders.

Those sliders looked pretty good at the time... But I think that was probably the wine talking!

It was a lovely wedding and a wonderful party. I'm so very happy for Kara and I wish her and Craig lots of love and laughter, and many many happy years together. I hope he always remembers how lucky he is. Welcome to the Neighborhood, Craig!

4 comments:

Mary said...

It looks like a fun wedding! It's nice to see that your dad is doing great! And you look so pretty!

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful, Sara! What a nice remembrance of a great time. I love seeing the pics. We all clean up pretty well, don't we? Other than my family, the "neighbors" are my BFF! Good luck on your ride! I love the blogs....maybe one of my kids will teach me to do this one day. Back to TN today. Love you! Rosie

MomC said...

Sara,You are so sweet...and a great dancer too!!! The wedding was so much fun...We're so lucky having all of you as part of our lifes...The pictures are great!!!(I would love if you sent me copies)Love to all of you, Mom C

Sara said...

I've posted all the pictures from this entry along with a few others over here: http://www.lunar.net/~sara/pictures/Kara-wed-7-12-2008/

That link should take you to the "thumbnail" page. Click on the pictures to get to the full size version.

MomC, you can save the pics from the lunar.net site, or email me so I have your address and I'll send them to you. lunarsara at gmail.com.