Friday, July 11, 2008

Same Roads, Same Rights, Same Rules, Part 1


Recently, a staff member of the Boston Globe by the name of Bella English published a blog entry entitled "If only drivers shared the road, cyclists would be safer". It stirred up a bit of controversy. I mostly, but not entirely, agree with Ms English. It's a familiar rant to most road bikers and it goes something like this:
We bikers are all angelic. We hug trees and ride for charity. We obey all the rules of the road all the time. We are polite to automobiles and we stay to the right and always riding single file. You automobile drivers are evil vile and nasty people. You are stupid and angry. Our safety is you're responsibility and you are falling down on the job.
Ok, that's a little extreme. Ms English didn't go that far but she went farther than I like. Her column made me scrunch up my nose a little thinking "no, that's not quite right". As of today there are over 400 comments to her post. It's the comments contradicting Ms English that really got my blood boiling.

Let me start by telling you what Ms English did and did not get right. She starts by painting a very rosy picture of cyclists much like the tongue in cheek rant above. Sorry, that's sadly not the case. I'm a very cautious rider and I try to be as polite as possible to auto traffic. But I cannot claim to obey all the traffic laws all the time. I admit:
  1. I blow stop signs... slowly and with a careful eye out for cross traffic, pedestrians, and other cyclists. Clipping out and coming to a full stop on bicycle is kinda a pain. I always give proper right-of-way, but I don't often come to a full stop.
  2. And I blow red lights. Honestly, only one red light. The left turn signal at Zeeb and Dexter is a smart light and my bike won't trigger it, so I blow it carefully after yielding to traffic.
  3. I don't always stay to the right. Remember that stretch of potholes I mentioned in my biking post back in May? Those aren't the only or even the worst potholes around here. I will ride in the left half of the lane or even on the yellow line (when there's no oncoming traffic) to avoid potholes. Potholes can do a fair amount of damage to both a bicycle and a cyclist.
  4. I don't always ride single file. Sometimes, on group rides, I'll get chatting with another rider and we'll be riding side by side so we don't have to shout at one another. I listen for traffic approaching behind us so we can form up if there's a car coming but sometimes I don't hear the car until it's too late. If you pass me in a car while I'm doing this, glance in your rear view mirror. There's a good chance you'll see me wince and say "Sorry!!".
  5. I don't always signal. I know the hand signals for left, right, and stop and I try to use them whenever my intentions may not be crystal clear to anyone else on the road. Sometimes, when the road conditions are poor or I need both brakes, I just don't feel safe taking my left hand off the bar in order to signal.
So, I'm a reasonably well behaved cyclist but I'm no angel. Most of the cyclists I see on the road are a lot like me. I've seen other riders that are not quite so well behaved. I've seen riders that refuse to form up so cars can pass more easily. I've seen riders without helmets or with ipod earbuds stuck in their ears. I've seen riders blow through intersections when they should have stopped or yielded. I've seen incredibly rude riders fly through quiet neighborhoods shouting at each other and nearly running over dogs and pedestrians. I've seen riders blatantly ignore the rules of the road cutting in and out of traffic, on and off of sidewalks, creating dangerous situations for themselves, pedestrians, and motorists. I've also seen riders stopped and ticketed by police officers -- Good job, Mr. Police Man!

We cyclists are not angelic. And some of us are, I'm terribly sorry and embarrassed to say, downright rude, obnoxious, and unsafe. But those arrogant turds are the minority. Most of us actually do try to share the road politely, safely, and legally.

On the auto side of the argument, Ms English states, "I divide dangerous drivers into two categories: angry or stupid." (Note we're only talking about the drivers that cause trouble for bikers, not the many polite, knowledgeable, safe drivers.) Angry or stupid? Anger or frustration do not necessarily lead to dangerous behavior. And stupidity is not the same as ignorance. Perhaps I'm just picking on semantics here, but I think "belligerent" and "ignorant" work better than "angry" and "stupid".

Belligerent drivers are the worst. But I don't think I really need to explain this one much. These are the folks that throw things (lit cigarettes, McDonald's bags, drink cups full of ice, random trash, dirty diapers) out their windows at bikers. These are the folks that try to run bikers off the road. These are the folks that lay on their horn or shout nasty things as they pass. These are the folks that get behind the wheel when they've had a few too many. Bullies, a$$holes, whatever you call them, they're intentionally creating dangerous situations and we can only hope they land in jail or earn themselves a posthumous Darwin award. Thankfully there really aren't that many of these dip-twiddles around here. Apparently they're all moving to Boston.

Ignorant drivers are less dangerous but far far more plentiful. There are only a few things you need to know to safely share the road with cyclists. It amazes me that this stuff doesn't seem to be mentioned in drivers education classes. I would love to see a greater effort on the part of cyclists' organizations to educate motorists. From my personal experience, here's what I think all motorists should know:
  1. Six feet. That's about half a lane. That's how much room a standard size car or motorcycle should give a cyclist when passing. More is always better, but six feet is enough. And remember, oncoming cyclists need at least half a lane, too. Unless your car is very small it's probably best to wait for ALL oncoming traffic, including cyclists, to clear before passing.
  2. Ten or more feet. Most of a lane. That's the minimum amount of space an oversize vehicle (van, suv, full size pickup) or anything pulling a trailer should give a bike. Trailers are often wider than the vehicles that are pulling them. I can't even count the number of times I've been scared silly by a trailer passing far too close.
  3. Horns are startling! Even when you just tweet them. There's really no need. Unless you're driving a quiet little hybrid on the electrics, I can probably hear you coming without you hittin' the horn.
  4. Cyclists' hand signals are the same as drivers' hand signals. You learned this one in driver's ed. Here's a refresher: left hand strait out = left turn; left hand up, elbow bent = right turn (some cyclists point with their right hand); left hand down, elbow bent or strait = slowing or stopping. You may also see cyclists pointing at various places on the road, or at branches hanging over the road, or at pedestrians or slower cyclists ahead. They're pointing out hazards to other cyclists that may too close behind them (drafting) to see what's coming. As you approach or pass cyclists you may hear them shout to riders ahead. They're usually saying "car back!" to warn the other cyclists to form up and be cautious because a car is trying to pass.
  5. Motorists, please use your signals to let cyclists know what you're doing! Be predictable so we can stay out of your way. I nearly got into an accident the other day with a motorist trying to turn left without a signal -- I was trying to make a left and merge in behind him, but he was unexpectedly slowing to turn onto the street I was coming from. I ended up turning 180 back onto the street I came from from. He yelled something nasty at me as he passed, but I wouldn't have been in his way if he'd used his signal.
  6. Don't be alarmed or annoyed when cyclists pull into the stream of traffic at an intersection. That's the safest place for us to be. Cyclists should be given their turn at a four way stop just like a motorist. Cyclists should take a position in the left half of the lane or in the right half of a left turn lane when turning left.
  7. By law cyclists are supposed to keep right or stay in a bike lane if there is one. However, this rule does not apply when a cyclist is turning left or avoiding hazards. Have you seen Michigan roads lately? Cyclists in my neck of the woods spend a lot of time avoiding hazards. Expect it.
  8. Yield the right-of-way to a cyclist just as you would another vehicle.
  9. Put away the cell phone and don't drive if you've been drinking. There's nothing more likely to kill a cyclist than a distracted or, worse yet, inebriated driver.
If you, as a motorist, remember these things. If cyclists also behave themselves, the roads will be a lot safer and more pleasant for all of us. Ms. English closes her blog post with this:
"What both bikers and drivers need to do is to understand that neither one owns the road, that both sides must share it in order to ensure everyone's safety. In Rodney King's immortal words: 'Why can't we all just get along?'"
I can't argue with that!

I'm already getting rather long winded here and I haven't even addressed any of the comments to the Boston Globe blog post. I'll save that for later.

In the mean time, If you happen to live in Michigan between Ann Arbor and Jackson within about 15 miles north or south of I94, be on the lookout for me and well over a thousand other cyclists on the roads tomorrow. Every year on the second Saturday in July the Ann Arbor Bicycle Touring Society puts on One Helluva Ride. Last year there were 1730 riders. The century (100 mile) route, which I'll be riding, starts at the Chelsea fair grounds and makes a big loop through Dexter, Hell, Gregory, Stockbridge, Munith, Portage Lake State Park (where we have lunch), Napoleon, Grass Lake, Sylvan, and back into Chelsea. Come out and wave, or better yet, get on your bikes and ride!

3 comments:

Mary said...

I'm an angry motorist. I'm angry that I'm not on a bike.

Anonymous said...

At least you all can ride a bike. I just feel like I've been riding one all day. :)

Doug said...

What great guy pointed you to that great article?????