Thursday, July 3, 2008

Power's Out

A huge storm rolled through yesterday evening taking down trees, blowing lawn furniture to Timbuktu, and knocking out our power in a serious way. We've been down since about 7:30pm yesterday (cooking dinner in the dark was an adventure). According to DTE, we might be back up by midnight tonight, maybe... if we're lucky. It's a stinker.

When I was a kid, power outages were all flashlights and candles and adventures. Now they're worry over spoiling food, messed up routines, no Internet, no A/C, no TV, and no light to knit or read. The flashlights and candles are still kinda fun, though.

This morning Buster fetched a block of dry ice for the freezer and a block of water ice for the fridge, just like a very old fashioned ice box. Hopefully that will keep everything until we get power back.

Currently I'm sitting in a cafe eating BiBimBap and drinking a skim latte with the bossman (who is reading a sports magazine -- there's not much work to do today anyhow). All my work email and access is being held hostage on my home desktop computer by the power outage. So no work for me -- yipee! (No Internet surfing either, once I leave the cafe -- bummer!)

I was going to tell you about the lace knitting project today, but all my photos are also being held hostage by the power outage. So that will have to wait.

Just in case I'm not back by tomorrow, Happy 4th of July, everyone!

ETA: Power came back just before midnight July 3. A tree limb fell on a transformer in the neighbor's back yard. We were dark for about 28 hours. Almost everything in the fridge and freezer survived. Buster and I are very happy to have our fridge, lights, Internet, and TV all back up and running. I'm especially happy to have the coffee pot back!

1 comment:

Kitt said...

Bummer!

I think stuff in the freezer is fine for at least a few days if you never open it.