Saturday, May 24, 2008

Frostbitten



I just finished reading Frostbite by Richelle Mead. I mentioned earlier this week that YA urban fantasy/paranormal romance isn't really my favorite genre, but I go out of my way to read Richelle. I picked up her first book because (a) she's a friend from my Seattle days, and (b) she kindly sent me a signed ARC. I keep reading Richelle because she's fantastic!

Any author that builds complete, three dimensional, interesting, and flawed characters has a very good chance at hooking me no matter the genre. Richelle's got some serious skills in the character building department. Frostbite is the second of Richelle's Vampire Academy series. In this book, the focus tightens a bit more on Rose, the narrator. There's plenty of action and adventure, but the real heart of the story is Rose coming of age.

I recommend this book for adults and teens alike. There's a bit more sexual content than I'm used to seeing in YA books. But, really, I've only read a handful of other recently published YA books and I understand, the times, they are a changin'.

Richelle has at least three more books coming out this year. Check out her website for more info.

No comments: