Tuesday, May 20, 2008

the sweater!

I mentioned yesterday that knitting is one of my mini-obsessions. Truth be told, I just learned to knit a couple months ago. My mommy taught me. I may be all grown up, but I'm finding that there's still plenty to learn from my mommy and daddy. So I've knitted a few things since Mom taught me how to cast on and knit and purl. I've made some baby stuff for friends, and a couple hats for Buster, and a pair of mittens for Mom, and I've even made an adorable little teddy bear. I decided a few weeks ago that I needed something a little more ambitious and a little more useful, mostly just to prove I could do it. So I'm knitting a sweater. This sweater:


I really like the ribbing at the waist and the whole thing just looks so comfy! The pattern was purchased from www.sweaterbabe.com and I'm using lion brand chunky wool-ease in walnut. I'm about a third of the way done:

There's a story behind the yarn. My husband uses this very same yarn for a fly he ties for fishing. When I started knitting he suggested I make him a hat for him out of this yarn.
















(Same hat different lighting) It's such pretty yarn with red and green and yellow highlights. When I found this sweater pattern I knew I wanted this yarn. Now I have to find some nifty buttons... I'm thinking vintage looking, pearly with a hint of minty green, about the size of a quarter... We'll see what I actually come up with.

The sweater should take another couple weeks, perhaps. I think I'm nearly done with the slow parts. I should finish it just in time for the summer weather to kick in. After that I'm tackling socks! That should be exciting, wish me luck!

Time to get ready for Buster's softball doubleheader! Go Arch Rivals!


3 comments:

Mary said...

Yay! You're getting so far on the sweater! I'm still plugging away on the back of mine. I looked yesterday and found out that I'm knitting with Lion Brand Chunky acrilic. I wish it were wool. Oh well.

Sara said...

The "Wool-Ease" is actually 80% acrylic and 20% wool. Not overly exciting, I just like the color. Have you gotten to the cable in your sweater yet?

Mary said...

I just finished the back last night. Today I start the front. Yay!