Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Name That Plant!

Can anyone tell me what this houseplant is? My mom got it as a table prize at a bridal shower. The bride is a beautiful young lady that I babysat for many years ago. I sadly couldn't attend her shower because it was the same day as the Tour de Cure. Mom brought the plant to me because I have a nice sunny window in my kitchen and plants tend to be very happy and healthy living there.

This pretty little plant has rubbery stems and thick heart shaped leaves and delicate pink flowers that curl over like a shy little girl staring at her toes.

Sadly, though, I think this shy little plant is in trouble.

It's leaves are turning yellow and it's flowers are getting wilty. Can anyone identify the plant? Or maybe even identify the problem? I'm not much of a green thumb so any help or advice you might have for me, dear readers, would be much appreciated.

3 comments:

Mary said...

Pretty plant! Are you watering it too much maybe? That could cause leaves to turn yellow.

Sara said...

Mom gave it to me pretty dry so I put a dish under it and gave it whatever water it wanted to soak up from the bottom. Still, I suppose it could already have had some root rot... In which case, the best solution is re-potting it, right?

I'm hoping someone can identify it so I can figure out how much water and sun it's supposed to be getting...

Peggy said...

It is a cyclamen.